jueves, 31 de octubre de 2013

Here comes the third one!

greetings all,

As you all may know, I am continuously active in my EMSB internship and today i shall describe a couple of conversations that I've had with English speaking teachers and principals. This description will also contain new expressions or words that I have acquired or overheard during my visit to open houses. Furthermore, this blog entry will have some of my cultural observations of the English culture in Montreal.

 New words, New meanings,how exciting!

Recently , I have gone to the JFK high school located near the St-Michel metro and noted how differently people there express themselves.At the beginning, I spoke to a mathematics teacher who thoroughly explained how the school gave the option of choosing some classes in French and others in English. By analyzing her method of speech, I was able to notice that her first language was English. How did Saul acquire this information you may ask ? the answer is simple. As a bilingual, I can predict if people are mostly English or French speakers by hearing nothing but a handful of phrases.One of the signs were that she struggled to explain certain concepts and she frequently depended on hand gestures to get her message through. Oppositely to her English, I discovered how vast and expanded her vocabulary was and I also learned what rambunctious meant. Though she wasn't a linguistics teacher, she taught a new word in a matter of minutes. Nevertheless, my visits do enhance my English speaking abilities.

 what a culture!

Visiting school from the EMSB  have made me exposed frequently to the English culture in Montreal. After many open houses, I am convinced that the English and French culture are very different because of several reasons and examples. To prove this statement, I have noted that in every open house that I have gone to, gentle students greet me with the most utter of respect and offer services such as : tour guides, coffee and even food.Unlike French schools, these students have manners and do not act in a rambunctious matter when they are around adults.I have also notice how English schools have a far more strict dress code and demand that students dress with respect. 

conclusion time !

To conclude my entry, I have learned many new concepts about the English culture and also the differences between English and French school. I hope to continue on these foot steps to become a better linguistics student.

Until next time,

Saul


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario